Sunday, June 20, 2010

Ground water testing at Nitida Wine farm as reported by the Chameleons Montessori EHC

At the start of the talk given by Prof Leslie London at Chameleons Montessori on 20 May 2010 a representative of the Environmental Health Committee, Mr Brendon Bailes, reported the committee’s findings regarding the matter of ground water contamination from the chemical use on the farm.

On the DVD made of the meeting this can be viewed at 4min 10sec.

Brendon mentions that with regard to the groundwater some tests had been done for, and I quote him here,
“phosphates and all that stuff and there’s none so that clears that up”
Following this meeting Brandon forwarded the correspondence (via email on the 25 May) that took place between himself and Bernard Veller, the owner of Nitida, in which this issue is discussed.

The emails are quite brief and I quote only the relevant bits here;

From Brendon Bailes to Bernard Veller, 17 May 2010
“has the ground water been tested recently? One thing the school asked me to look into was water- ground water testing?”

Reply from Mr Veller, 17 May 2010

“I have had it tested recently for phosphates. What is the school specifically interested in. I am sure you understand there are 101 things you can test for”


Brandon writes back;

“Is there any possibility to obtain a copy of the testing so I can show the Committee”

Reply from Mr Veller, 17 May 2010

“Latest test results as requested. You will see that they are very limited as I was looking at phosphates and nitrates alone. A comprehensive test for solids etc will cost about R500. I can have it analysed for e-coli for about R75. My 2 effluent plants have had e-coli at zero for months now. Again it depends what you are looking for”

Bernard Veller was at that meeting with Prof. London and presumably heard Brendon’s statement regarding the results of the testing. It seems negligent to me that this obvious misunderstanding on Brendon’s part was not corrected.

To be fair to Mr Veller though, he was quite clear in his emails about the extent of the testing so I fail to see how the EHC reached the conclusion it did and to say that with regard to the groundwater that some tests had been done for “phosphates and all that stuff and there’s none so that clears that up”


Unfortunately, as a consequence of this misrepresentation of the facts, surrounding groundwater contamination, parents may now believe the matter to be resolved. This is clearly not the case at all.

It's probably worth quoting two comment Prof. London made later, at that meeting. He can be heard at about 40 min into the DVD recording.
This was in response to a query regarding residues that may remain after spraying but he could equally have been referring to this testing of the groundwater.

"I wouldn't believe a study that said there was nothing...it doesn't make sense...it gets into the environment."

A follow-on question regarding the risk possibly posed by the breakdown products and their residues was then answered by the Professor.

It would be; "very unusual for any sort of agricultural spray activity not to result in a certain amount of residue and contamination and run off"


I’m criticising the EHC’s handling of this topic because I feel that, yet again, the EHC demonstrates it’s lack of expertise and thoroughness in dealing with this very complex issue. I have to question the school’s wisdom in asking completely unqualified parents to advise on school policy with regard to our children’s health and safety.

4 comments:

  1. Ford , you must obviously be very bored and not have much to do. If you worked for me I would have fired you for being unproductive. Do you not drive a vehicle powered by fossil fuel ? Does your wife not use spay and cook? What about the farm workers ?.... They don't seem to have 3 eyes and 5 lungs ?
    Why don't you actualy pay
    Soneome to do testing instead of "waffing" ur mouth off on the internet. I think you secretly want to open ur own school, so you have decided to try and close ther best one first ..... Or maybe u just don't have anything better to do .....maybe ur name should of been Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous
    (are you related to the many other anonymous people who attack the views expressed in this blog?)

    Thank you for your insightful and considered comments.

    No, we don't use "spray and cook" in our kitchen...but it't interesting to note that you think only a wife would do the cooking. In the 21st century husbands can also do the cooking.

    You seem to confuse concerns about pollution in general with the very specific, and possibly more insidious dangers, posed by artificially created environmental poisons. In any case, dismissing one area of concern because there are also other issues that society needs to address is weak minded thinking.

    I'm pleased to hear that you've checked to make sure there are no mutant people working on the farm but perhaps you should consider more subtle effects than those suggested to your lively and infantile imagination than a B grade sci-fi movie.

    As for me paying someone to do some testing don't you think it's the schools responsibility to establish the safely of the premises. Certainly this is what health and safety at work legislation suggests.

    If you can use google you may find that I am actually extremely productive and I doubt very much you'd ever be in any position to employ me so we needn't worry about your concerns in that respect.

    It would probably be a bit of a strain for you, judging by "ur" (sic) poor grasp of sentence construction, spelling and logic, but perhaps you should look up what it means to engage in an "ad hominem" attack.

    Such a witty joke on my name too. thanks, I never heard that one.....when I was 8 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I do have a great deal of other, more personal, things to do but making sure the truth is told about this pesticide issue as it effects children is something I can do quite easily while having my toast and tea for breakfast.

    I can keep this up indefinitely without even trying. But if you're still concerned about me wasting my time you should know I probably save about 5 hours a week not watching sport on TV.

    I like to think this minor diversion of mine may actually prove to be more valuable, especially if it means parents can make more informed decisions regarding their children's safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,

    it's just occurred to me, while chuckling over your little quip at my name, that you may actually be a child.

    If this is the case I'm very sorry for being so mean and sarcastic. I try to reserve that sort of response for silly adults who really ought to know better.

    Perhaps you could ask your Mummy and Daddy to put you in a better school so that you can get some help with your spelling and grammar. It's probably also not a good idea to involve yourself in adult discussions just yet.

    ReplyDelete